28 October, 2006

The Ask-The-Parents Day

6th of august, the day I asked her parents whether they approve of us getting married in the future.

Was quite nervous, no, was very very nervous. But managed to get the courage to tell the parents simply (in my usual bad mandarin) my intentions:

We've come together last year with the intention of getting married in the future, and now that we're going to start slowly planning and looking out for stuff in preparations for marrying (God willing) in 2008, I thought it appropriate to ask them for their approval first, since she's their daughter after all...

The parents smiled a lot, and the mum just said simply mid sentence:"we don't disapprove". Following which they gave some advice in the short period of time that I stayed for a drink, and then I had to go home to prepare for school tomorrow.

*whew* Not much closer to marriage in that sense, but certainly part of showing to Yifen and others around that I'm serious in wanting to marry her. =")

5 comments:

hamster said...

At least U managed to still propose properly. I don't know if I ever told you the disaster that was my ill-advised plan to ask her dad for her hand in marriage - BEFORE I proposed. And so one day while she was in her room upstairs, I quietly asked her dad for her hand in marriage without raising the question to her yet - so that I could go ahead and pop the question.

And he called her from upstairs, plopped her down in a chair and then subjected me to his idea of why we couldn't get married anytime soon (which wasn't my idea) and what he believed marriage was about. And she sat there bemusedly looking at me with a touch of bewilderment.

Not the best kind of proposal. Even with a nice ring...

Remember to keep peeling prawns for her!

Unknown said...

Actually this post was written on the day that I asked the parents before the proposal, with her knowledge also. Only difference was the source of the 'surprise' for us. =")

Must have been quite a shock to you when her dad called her down and talked! =D

Trying to learn to take good care of her bro, but I need a lot of help to do so (I'm not such a good person by default).

Hope you're doing good (in some sense of the word at least), we want to catch up with you guys sia...

hamster said...

Shock didn't even begin to cover it. So I never really did propose - her dad kinda already did it for me. But she did cry a little when I took out the ring for her to see when we were in private (despite me grouching about a spoiled proposal). And we got married.

Don't try to take on too much on yourself bro. We all keep learning - and depending on God for things to actually happen and change. None of us are good people by default or we won't need God to save us. Keep praying, keep talking to her and keep trying no matter how discouraged or inadequate you feel. After all, she sees something in you that you may not recognise yourself.

Whatever made you think I'm a good person? Sinner, saved by grace here!

Yeah things are looking up - though my new job hasn't been confirmed. Nonetheless, God is good and provides and I can refocus my life on things that matter - serving His people and learning to love.

Ming said...

Hey Ray!!!!

It's such good news to hear abt ur upcoming wedding!!!! Goodness, I still rem u as a growing up little boy when u left PLMC. How time flies really!

Btw, Gerald & I are adapting well in London & do consider coming here for honeymoon if u wed b4 Sept 2008 :)

Unknown said...

Yeah, I can still remember you guys talking about work and uni and all, and now I'm almost going to start work proper already. Hopefully when I graduate next June =PPP

Glad to hear that you two are doing fine over there in London =) We're aiming to get married in June '08, but I'm afraid we most prob will not be going London as far as I can tell ="P